Friday 27 July 2007

Entry THREE









LIFE HERE Although I had a meeting at nine am, the sun creeped up at 6am, and I snuck down to the boardwalk with bread. I was discouraged at first to not see any ducks, but I ran into two of them before I went to turn around. I fed them until....those damn seagulls showed up and wouldn't go away. I was there to feed the ducks, not the annoying seagulls.

UNI CLASSWORK Two meetings today from nine am to three pm. I was drained, exhausted- both body and mind- and I had to pee so bad. My intestines were bloated, so it was tough sitting there for so long. My biggest hope? That I'm not embarrassed or get nervous this presentation, but it's kind of different. Except for maybe two people, I like and talk to everyone else and it's comforting. This time we will actually practice as well, so I'm thinking positively this time around.

CULTURE "Bell peppers" "Green peppers," I smirked. It was deja vu. Stephen took me to Subway and he tried to prove how much he knows his culture, like "I know Americans!," but he was too technical. He's like a Liz, explaining the culture to me, and yet I like to think I already know it pretty well. I'm proud of myself, still, but not like I was two years ago. I still like to assert that I know what I'm doing to people, so I should stop that, or find a better way. However, I found it cute, and I did blush, when Chris said "pop" as if to translate for me. I think deep down they have fun with foreigners they know the culture of.

UNI RESIDENTS Joey and I are iffy, but okay. I'm not going out of my way to talk to him, with the smiles and laugh to a minimum from both of us, and it's because of early this week when he was completely rude to me. Ashamedly, I only care because I have two subjects with him next semester.

Chris and I started off really rocky, not speaking much to each other, barely acknowledging the other's existence. "Thanks for that." "For what? I just started the powerpoint." "You were an inspiration." Why the sudden friendliness? He looked at me a lot during the meeting, wanted to know my opinion, but it did nothing for me.

BEST FRIEND Bear? This is how I see it. He said he loves me. He knows I'm coming. Pushing him only drew him closer. All is well! Pun included, don't get me started on the disappointment called Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

AMERICAN HOME I think I may be losing my identity. When I get home, will I have an even worse culture shock? No Gaz. No best friend. No fun with a new life. Trying to get a job, a real grown-up job, for the first time. No assignments. Missing Australia. What will I do? I don't want a real job yet.

READING: Invisible Monsters and Franny & Zooey
DAYS TIL CANBERRA: twenty-two