Wednesday 23 January 2008

Entry HUNDRED-SIXTY-FOUR






NEW I almost backed out, but everything went surprisingly smoothly. In fact, it went too smoothly, but of course I was grateful because I was incredibly nervous. It was the kind of nervousness where I couldn't sit, my stomach felt like it was pulled out, and I started having the worst thoughts. But the bus came and I got on the right one. Then I watched the scenery, trying to remember where Hugh had taken me nine months before. It was half memory, half intuition. In fact, I only got off because the most people did at that point, and it looked like a "downtown" area after all. And I got off at the point where I had to. It all worked out.

I went straight to the beach which was already littered with surfers and tourists taking photos. In fact I was surprised even though I shouldn't have been. Mostly it was Japanese tourists and older people walking/jogging by. The sand was a beautiful off-white color and the water was pretty rough. But otherwise, nothing special.

Then I went off to find the bus station since I wanted to head straight to it on Friday morning. This is the planner in me. But on the way I looked to my left and there in a semi-alley and towards the main street was a younger guy wanking. He had to see me looking and I just had to smile. First time I've seen a guy in person wanking and it was quite the experience and story. In fact, I was amazed how thick he was and not the fact he was wanking off in plain view.

Using a map and the name of "beach road" which I found online, I found the bus station within minutes. However, I started getting scared since I didn't use map map while walking around and I should've to calm my nerves. I just happened upon it by going the opposite direction and there it was, in all its glory. It was empty, small, and I even found where the buses will be parked.

Twenty minutes later and I walked back to the bus station, guessing that it was opposite where he dropped me off (I was right). And that's when I saw an older, obvious foreign born, man come to me. I wanted to pretend not to notice, but he kept coming and asked when the bus would arrive. He was very kind and I find strangers constantly asking me directions. (At Bond- a woman for a seminar, a man for the admin, a woman for the post office, a group of NZers for princeton, five different groups for room 27, and a woman for princeton. And the woman at Newcastle airport about the bus time, and this man about the bus time for Surfers). This is a new thing I've been noticing.

The bus came and he remembered me since he had looped around according to his route. He must've thought it was funny, but I explained it was because I was just checking the place out and he took it.

On the way back, before conking/crashing, I checked my email and just happened to check the news. Heath Ledger died! I didn't believe it. I thought it was fake. Then sadness hit like when Aaliyah died and I realized how young you. No matter how young, lives are taken instantly. (In fact, I didn't even feel this way when Steve Irwin died).

BEST FRIEND I eventually crashed and woke up to see Gaz's email, which was especially giddy worthy. He was joking for the first time in a long time, so I joked back in my reply.

UNI CLASSWORK I was nervous and dreading class (yes, after three hours of sleeping), but it turned out better than I could've imagined. I arrived, found Stephen, and he talked my ear off while Ying entered the scene sulking even though I waved to her. Apparently she craves constant attention and sulked when she realized that, yes, I do have friends other than her. Even though she does it to me all the time.

Ashnita came, we said hi (minus Ying), and there we all entered into the back. Me, Ashnita, an empty seat, Stephen, an empty seat, and then Ying

Ying didn't sit by me, but rather Ashnita did and I was glad she did.  Soon after Mike/James (which is real?) came to sit between Ashnita and Stephen, thus starting the fun.  We were joking around, Mike girlified his graphs by coloring them on excel, and we helped each other with the problems.  Cracking jokes, laughing, fun.  And when I was stuck, without asking, James came over to help, getting close to me.  So kind.  And yes, I still have the girly crush on him. And then he asked if I did my homework and both turned to me when I said yes, because I couldn't sleep.  I told them (ash and mike/james) that I went to Surfers because I couldn't sleep while they couldn't believe it.  It was just fun.  I felt like I belonged.  Like in high school when you realize that, yes, you do have friends and they are fun ones.

YING  On the way out I stopped by Ying and she cornered for me dinner.  On the way she was upset that I had gone to Surfers, even though I had told her about it and even invited her. Why get pissed when you had the chance?