Monday 28 January 2008

Entry HUNDRED-SIXTY-NINE

UNI CLASSWORK & RESIDENTS  At the last moment I decided I would go to the library to print some slides, which just happened to be perfect timing.  I looked up and saw Arthur and Stephen looking at me, so I waved and they came to ask what was going on.  But this is the thing- they asked me if they could see my work since they were stuck on problem 3.  While I was stuck on problem 2, Stephen acted like a true dad and helped me first.  Then he went over problem 3, completely patient the entire time.  He's almost my parent figure here.

Down to lunch James/Mike walked in front of me and some guy and then walked back right behind me in line.  I joked that he cut and he joked back, while I then asked what he was having. May seem brave of me, but not really considering two semesters ago I was constantly flirting, saying hello, and smiling.  

On the way back I ran into Jillian, something I've done almost every day this semester, and she said a cheerful, "Hey!" first.  

While I was eating Arthur and Stephen came by and asked if they could drop of their stuff in my room, and it was when they came back after eating lunch that we all went down to the uni centre where I asked Stephen if it is easy to get a job here (yes).  His confidence makes me feel better.  And when we went to class it felt very sociable with me, Stephen, Arthur, and Rosa talking while a few others join.  I led the way by walking into the emptying classroom, happy to get away from the Norwegian who has been hitting on me.

Once inside, Arthur and Stephen each sat on one side of me and then Mike/James came in and sat directly behind me.  Then Ashnita followed by sitting next to him.  How can people be so nice and funny?  We know each other, but we're not all that close (sans Mike/James and Ash).  Mike paid attention to me, we all laughed, and I made an effort to talk in the ongoing conversation.  And when someone's cell phone did an odd "dinging" noise you here on planes, James said, "You are now ready to board" to which we all couldn't stop laughing.

At the end Ying waited for me while I was brave and went to see the professor and she smiled.  But when I came over she didn't acknowledge me since she was too busy talking to Rosa and Gabrielle (the South American from Marketing), trying to get closer to them, so I told her I was off.  She said she was coming but she lagged too long not making a move, so I went off on my own.  I knew we'd be okay and we were.  I'm just tired of her social games.  We do it all the time to each other now.

Next was our customer analysis where I was brave and answered a question incorrectly, but still I went for it first when no one else would.  And after I answered that, I answered another one.  And I'm beginning to like talking in class as long as it's still small enough.  

But that's not all.  I was talking to Shivang and laughing and acting Western while Eastern Ying didn't get it, but looked down and didn't crack a smile.  And while we were talking Ying exerted her opinion, again, without any backing.  And so all three of us (two of them backing me), told her that she was wrong.  In fact it felt good because I'm always doing it to Ying but no one is around to support me.

At the end of my five hours of class time, Ying and I went to have dinner where we sat where we usually go to the picnic bench.  And it was nice but not a great conversation.  It flowed but it wasn't fun.  What made my night was watching May, Nash, and Victoria come out.  All three excited and Nash and Victoria excitedly talking to me and big smiles everywhere.  It was a nice long goodbye and it was sad to see them go, but I hope to run into them all again.  At least next Monday around 7:45.