Monday 14 January 2008

Entry HUNRED-FIFTY-FIVE

UNI RESIDENTS & LIFE HERE First thing 8am on the first day of classes and I run straight into Stephen, the Aussie who cuts down Americans and yet has a strange bond. And so we chatted, or rather he talked at me, but something was a little off this time. It was like he had someone else to talk to. Or he wanted to brag, but not to me. And he was acting as if I was wasting his time in a way even though he was the one talking. Finally the end was near and he asked, "What are you doing after this?" "I don't know, going home I guess." "No, you're not" and he told me to see the career department because they offer a 100 percent guarantee job placement.

The best part of the first day is all the welcome backs from the staff. Judith remembered and welcomed me back with such excitement that it made me blush. Only downside was that when I returned an hour later with my slip, the Lakeside Grille was way too busy even though lunch didn't official start yet. The cause? Arthur and Ying says it over 300 new Americans. The bright side? They go home and May will be silent again! I was strong, staying on in the crowd and not feeling uncomfortable. I was proud.

UNI CLASSWORK [class one] last semester, the very first class, I was hit on by the German guy who kept asking me out for two weeks. So first class of the first day of the third semester, a Norwegian guy hit on me. He was not cute, extremely large nose like the German, and a dirty blond as well. His personality was 'better than you' exactly like the German- dismissing the class as too easy for him and then finding a poor excuse to get my number. He asked if he could look at a book for a class I've taken, and asked for my number. I don't like breaking hearts, so I gave it. But I inadvertently, and purposely, squashed his desires when Ashnita walked in and sat between us (thank you).

We started chatting really fast and non-stop about our break and this semester, laughing about the possibility of Stephen's shenanigans for the future sessions. That's when I said, "I went to Newcastle and Sydney, with my, you know 'boyfriend'" and we laughed. Norwegian heard, he had to of, and remained quiet. I don't expect him to call- to my joy.

I've always find that the ugly ones are attracted to me, and that's harsh, but there has to be some level of attractiveness on my part as well towards these boys. And there's not. And I also find that the "eastern" Europeans and Germans are always attracted to me. Is it my larger nose? Dark hair?

Ying walked in and somehow missed me, but I took it that she ignored me, and I felt better after Ashnita checked her lab time with me and got excited at the same slot time on our papers.

[class two] small class, half of familar faces and half of strangers. I was afraid at first because all the familar ones have seemed to be unfriendly in the past, but I had Ying there with me. And she acknowledged me when I walked in and we squished the "not seeing me" and found that it was just that- she didn't see me. Funnily enough, Arthur said the same and so it had to be true. I just find I'm cold at first because I'm uncertain how to act, and then I warm up. I did that with her, kind of cold, and then more friendly.

[CULTURE] The professor is English with a horrible posh accent, like she's turning her nose to us. If she didn't smile so much I'd think she thought she was too good for us. Every time she spoke I thought of doilies and little sandwhichs and tea in china. But on top of it, she was too boring and too full of herself, unlike Aussies. It was like having Aussie slang but with a nasty accent. Then I found happiness in thinking about how she's a prude.

Time came for a "friend" to introduce us and Ying did me. She said I was a great friend, very helpful, and very smart since I got two HDs. Aren't Chinese supposed to downplay accomplishments? She told my "secret", making me look bad, but I blushed and felt good at the kind words she was saying anyway.

I escaped at break and Ying followed behind, rushing to catch up. A first for her. We ran into Victoria who said, "You know Jen" and made me giddy because she's an upbeat Aussie who a great personality, who smiles and sees the brightside of everything. Aussies have a wonderful way of doing so. As she departed she said, "I love how much you giggle" to me.

Returning to class went so fast. The professor saw my book and asked what it was, to which the "snobby" American to my left (from marketing) and her South American friend talked to me about all the way out the door. That made me feel more comfortable in the class, knowing they didn't mind me.

YING Elaine followed me and we had dinner together right after class. It was no longer awkward to and it was like it was back to normal but with a few more acknowledgements thrown in. I told her it was good to be with her again, when in reality I was just happy to be socializing right away. She told me that we can eat together and that we can go for walks (just call). And I will, but not right away, because I like my independence and only sometimes do I like to be social. It's just her. I find her personality to be a mismatch, along with her culture. She just stares and rarely smiles. Doesn't argue. Is boring.

On the way out she was happy to hear I may try to stay (from what Stephen said earlier) and I got a great reception from the curly blond form the Brasserie with my dessert.

"We're in the same group, right?" Ying asked. See, it's unspoken that we're together.