Monday 21 January 2008

Entry HUNDRED-SIXTY-TWO

EMAIL I had turned my computer off, not realizing I didn't have gmail alert running once I started it back up around 8:30, just to happen to find his email. I had checked manually a few minutes before, so there I was thankfully re-checking.

I don't like how seemingly unpersonable he is. It's finally bothering me. But when I re-read his email I realized it's not that bad at all. He's mostly been like this afterall.

"Yeah, I think there's still plenty of time not to worry about Thailand and worry more on the here and now...house, job, save, etc...And I guess by the time it comes around, my six months in the house'll be up to. Looks like I'm going to have to call him some time today, damn it...oh well."

"Too hot! Poor excuse, the hotter the better...you need to go on a hot day to get the full experience (I've never actually been to Byron Bay, so I wouldn't have a clue to be honest, but it's the theory I stick to with everything, except if your going to the snow or Russia or somewhere, in which case the opposite applies)."

"Whoa! That's stupidly expensive for NZ. I guess that's a tour though right? I think it's better just holding the money and doing it all at your own pace than neading to do it with a group. It's not exactly France, so you won't have to have someone who speaks the native language carrying you around...or a phrase book or anything."

UNI CLASSWORK & RESIDENTS  I was early to Analysis and Applications, as always, and so I was there when the Norweigen came early (again).  And again, so did the Indian guy.  But prior to his arrival, I was making easy small talk with the Norweigen (the typical, do you like it?  Where have you gone? etc).  Then I asked both of them, "Are you doing anything this weekend?"  It comes easy when I feel superior (in this case, my third semester and first for them).  And again the Norweigen asked to come by to see my book and I tried to brush it off.

Sat down and Ying joined me, followed by Zala saying hello to me with loveliness (but fakenesss).  I just remember Ying surprised considering she was trying to say hello to her and she forgets I know these people.  Then Arthur, Stephen, and Ashnita all joined by to talk as Ying was excluded.  In fact, I adored it since it made me feel special.  This is considering Ying is constantly saying hello to people like she's more popular than me.

Lastly, Customer Analysis.  Ying followed me and sat next to me, while we waited for people to join.  As Ying, me, and the Columbian girl were discussing OB, Shrivang came in and I brought him into the conversation, to which we reminised on the fun group examples we did together.  

During class the best thing happened.   I volunteered and was "embarrassed" for over thirty minutes while I had to be the spokesperson for my group.  It was kind of thrilling to volunteer, something I almost never do, but at the same time I'm now embarrassed after the fact since talking like that is so unlike me.  I had to show off my newer ipod touch while Ying didn't get their humor of taking the piss out of me while I laughed and joined.  I was embarrassed, not nervous, despite my voice altering.  It actually helped I think since they know my name now, the teacher knows I participated, and I got to talk to half the class.  It should score social points.  But also the dark hair girl kept looking and smiling, even when I sat back to my side of the room.  

Ying made a comment in class how the downside of my touch is that it doesn't have a phone, to which I said in the Western way to the teacher who asked, "There's the iphone, which is exactly this but with a phone.  However, that only works in America" and I saw Shrivang agreeing with me.  So I made Ying lose face with delight.  

Before we left Ying was brave enough to ask Shrivang into our group, noticing he has good ideas.  I like her initiative, how she just goes for it.  Unfortunately I can't do that very often.

During dinner she told me how cool my itouch is and I did the American (not Aussie) thing of agreeing.  I'm tired of her thinking she's better than me.  But on the way to her place she offered to buy my economics book and I accepted to my delight, which was squashed when we ran into May and her boyfriend.  She ran to her, hugging, and locking arms and leaving me alone.  She never does this with me!  I don't get Asians or how she got so close to May in such a short period of time.

So I took the initiative and introduced myself to May's boyfriend as they ignored me.  At least into May started including me half way to Ying's apartment.

Overall, it was a day of placing Ying down and having fun.  Even if I had to go through watching her go girly-girl with May at the end.