Tuesday 15 January 2008

Entry HUNDRED-FIFTY-SIX

DISCOVERED the post office gentlemen was nice and I went to him with a clean slate, not expecting him to be not-so-lovely, and it worked. Walking back I made my first run-in with Jillian of the semester who gave me a great cheery smile and hello, as well as asking back how I was. Again, I learned not prejudge with past experiences but to start anew when there has been a break.

UNI RESIDENTS I noticed the "German" guy from marketing stalking the hallway along with me, but before I could acknowledge him, Toby (the Mexican-American) came by and said, "So Elaine said you spent break with your boyfriend." First of all, she assumed he was my boyfriend and I never told her so, neither did I contradict. Second of all, why was she telling my business when she begs me not to tell hers? I giggled and Toby said it was because he asked. Normally I would find this cute, even romantic in a way, but this is Toby...the bisexual. And so I took it as a really friendly gesture and we chatted before we made our way into the room.
Once inside I sat on the opposite side since the "German" guy sat where I wanted, and that's when May walked in. She sat right next to me, placed this permanent smile on her face, and kept talking. How easy conversation is after a semester of not seeing each other? And James, too. He walked in and I told him it was the right room, since they had changed the room numbers except that one. We laughed about it: "They changed all the buildings!" "I know, I got here and she told me I was in building 15, but I was like, 'no, I'm supposed to be in the bungalows!'" and all three of us laughed.

Sometimes it's easy to feel like you belong, if the class is small and you know the people from previous times.

Dinner, "Nothing's changed, nothing's changed," she told me when I asked for take-away. I belong here.

BEST FRIEND he emailed me back again, that day, but it wasn't what I wanted--- not that I expected it to be. In fact, I knew it wouldn't be lovely and that it would be devoid of emotion. But to his credit he wasn't any different than usual, even though sometimes he can be lovely. I just feel like I'm unwanted, not that Sam's in his life like she was before, so it must be normal.

UNI RESIDENTS 1:30am I heard banging on the walls and shouting, "Whoever is up, come drink with us! Come, have a beer with us! Whoever is up in here!" I was half asleep but very tempted to go, but at the same time scared. It's not like when I was outgoing the first time in this country when I at least had Liz to accompany me. I think that is the difference, because if I had a girlfriend to go with me, things would be better for me and more relaxing since I could rely on sticking with her while having fun and not being dependent on just myself.