Tuesday 8 July 2008

Entry ?

UNI RESIDENTS & GREAT PLEASURES I had to stand up in front of the class and I was caught off guard by our professor's answer. Now normally I would be really embarrassed, but this is my semester of "whatever" with those things. But the main thing for me to remember is that while I really don't know them too well, the American girl and the Brazilian girl were so nice and supportive of me. The American smiled and mouthed, "Good job." I thought it was sweet.

Today was all mostly about Mike. Wonderful, lovely, Mike. I went to talk to Ash, and since he sits there, he wasn't deferred by me "ignoring" him. Instead he said, "Hi, Jen!" with such excitement and I mimicked, "Hi, Mike!" back laughing.

During out IFM tutorial Mike actually showed, and it was weird because he sat in front away from me for some reason. But I didn't take much notice, since I don't want to get myself attached to him. And I soon forgot it because Aslihan (the professor) said, "Jen knows. She's organized." She barely knows me and she knows I'm organized! I felt special actually.

After class I hung back to wait for Arthur, but meanwhile Mike was holding back waiting for me. "Why are you dressed up?" he asked me, like he does every time I dress up. But then he added, "Are you going to the bungalows?" So he followed me. And we walked past the cafe and out by the carpark. And naturally I felt nervous in a way, even though it's only Mike, because I'm rarely alone with guys my own age any more that aren't Gaz. "How are you going with the trading game?" he asked me. He's a smooth one that doesn't have to worry about talking, that's for sure.

Somehow we got on the subject of Europe, his favorite topic since he went on the trip, and then he stopped to talk. We talked, all up, from 1:50-5:10. Almost three and and a half hours. It was definitely one of the highlights of my time in Bond by far. And even though that sounds pathetic, it's not considering this is me and I rarely mesh well with popular people, especially popular males.

What makes it special is that he was so open with his past, and even though he's popular, he's not cocky at all. He treats me well, treats me very well in fact, and he always makes me laugh. Best of all, he doesn't use girls and he respects us so much.

But I was also open with him. We were talking about how American girls are sluts, and then I told him that I waited myself. I offered up details for some reason, shyly, and he was so shocked that he kept laughing with this surprised look on his face. Then I told him about the Gareth saga, with full truth (without saying that we never really dated in the first place), and I felt free. I kept telling him, "Usually I'm not this open. Usually it takes me longer."

We were talking about how people don't even know where South Africa is and how they can't figure out why white people where there (since he's South African), when Ying walked past. Perfect timing considering I was just telling him how she knew neither, but she didn't hear it probably. I was just happy that she was storming past, knowing full well that I was there with Mike, talking in the carpark, with him sitting on the fence barrier as if he's been there a while.

Then his co-worker, Jesse, walked past and saw as well. I mention this only because it gives me more cred to Jesse now.

Then Mike finally acknowledged his girlfriend, but I figured it out a while ago. I was totally okay with it. I mean, it would've been nice, but we've always been in the friend stage.

The trick is, he comes off cool and confident because he was a res student and is apart of res wars, but really he isn't. Deep down he is sensitive and caring. Wow.

I asked him why Stephen asked him to be in our group, since he can't stand him, and he said, "because I'm friends with you and Arthur." As silly as that is, I felt so great because he acknowledged the word "friends" about us. And it made me think back in Bathurst the first time Gaz said it about us, and how from there our friendship just got so much stronger. I wanted the same with Mike.

He defended my quiet American life, with my friends who don't party too much, and he said he enjoys that lifestyle as well. I felt great when he said that. He's only been partying since he's joined Bond, became a res student, and the rest of A-Block had to know who he was. I always knew that, because from day one he walked in the classroom insecure, searching for someone he knew but not knowing anyone. You can just tell.

But I can't forget: halfway through he went to my bungie to "piss" and when he was finished, he walked onto my porch and sat down. I joined him, not expecting him to stay even longer, but there we were doing that. He has a way of just taking charge, but always doing the right thing.

Overall, it's so easy with him. He's so intelligent, fun to talk to, and he makes me laugh. Conversation doesn't falter between us.