Monday 21 July 2008

Entry ?

UNI RESIDENTS Stephan was joking about how we're not the cool kids, and Mike turned around and said, "Jen, I think you're cool." He's a funny friend. But the best part was the end of class. Mike was wrestling me, actually playing like a kid with me and hitting arms and pulling, and then I poked his nose so he fake gagged. And then I said, "Is anyone coming?" which surprised myself. I rarely ask for attention. Mike looked but I didn't look since I hate coming off as clingy, and Toby came with me since we had HRM next. I moved. He moved. I stopped. He stopped. It just happened and we were laughing so hard about it. Playful much, Jen?

UNI CLASSWORK (As written to Gaz). "I went out for "coffee" twice this week, which is the most I've done that since...um...January? I went with my only group member left (more on that later), the Fijian Ashnita, after one of our meetings. We were talking about a mutual friend of ours and somehow that lead to her asking me to go for coffee, because she likes to gossip. Anyway, so not only did she have to gossip about people we both know, but she was pretty blunt about what she thinks is wrong with my country, but it was fun to talk about that. She did give me a compliment (I pretty much remember word for word things people say for a long time...I think I'm an auditory learner): "I've always thought Americans were loud and arrogant until I met you and Arthur." Yay, I guess...?

The second time was a couple of days ago on campus, at this place I've passed several times in the past year and a half and yet never went to. We met up for "coffee" (I got a hot chocolate this time, but mocha the first time) before our meeting with the HR director of Bond. Ying (or Elaine as I usually call her) didn't come because...well... she decided that we were "stupid" and that she didn't want to work with us any more. Mind you, this is after Ash and I waited and waited to get started all because of her. Not that I hold a grudge really, it's just funny considering.

So we were in class discussing this and all three of us went to talk to our Professor to check our idea with him. Meanwhile, Ying waited until we left and then told him that she wants to do a hotel instead of Bond for our project. So we're confused. He's confused. And Ying won't explain to us what's going on. Basically she's indirectly doing what she always does, and so now she's doing a 25 page project on her own because she's being stubborn. Ash and I were like, "what the fuck?" about it all, but we actually don't mind either way. I just can't figure it out (what part of "group work" does she not get?) and even Ying's friend ran into me and asked what was going on (apparently she's frustrated with her, because she pretty much badmouthed her own friend to me).

When we met with the HR director, this assume laidback Aussie guy who was so deadpan funny, he said the same thing we said. "I hate teamwork." Now if a 50 something HR director can say that, then yeah, apparently it happens at every single level you're at.

All the bad uni work aside (really does it ever end with my luck?), it's starting to dawn on me that I'm leaving Bond, which means I'm leaving all the cultural crap behind. It's good and bad, because it's really opened my eyes to just about every culture under the sun since you can find just about someone from every country here. I'm going to miss hearing all the different accents at once, especially getting excited when I hear the rare Aussie one. But most of all, I will just miss this overall experience and the people I know at this uni (considering I won't see the majority of them when I leave). But I suppose that's just one of the downsides of being an international student.

CULTURE I spent most of the weekend studying for a quiz I haven't been given yet, and a 10% exam that was pretty good. I was studying with two of the three Americans I know here, and it just kind of gives me a homey feeling I guess. I'm starting to really understand why foreigners/migrants cling so much to people of the same nationality. As much as I love the Aussie life, I still need to have something familiar every once in a while like an accent or someone who gets what I'm referencing in American pop culture or stupid American humor when it comes to joking. (I think our teasing/joking is American universal, in the same way sarcasm seems pretty universal here. I've noticed that Americans don't question my teasing humor, but non-Americans definitely do)."

DISCOVERED how at ease he put us at, or at least me, since Ash didn't need it. He shook our hands, we introduced ourselves. Then he gave us his card. Next he was so laid back that he sat back in his chair and commented on his office with jokes instead of getting right into it. I like that so much. Ash was a natural. She was talking to him like a conversation as well as making small talk, instead of going question by question. I have to improve my small talk skills and asking questions instead of just going, "yes" in agreement. Also, Jen, shake hands goodbye!

UNI RESIDENTS Dinner with Mike, as always now. It's almost a constant theme. He took care of me and neither of us were being friendly enough, but I didn't let it get to me. Then he had to come back to help the sides section, and he served me again with a, "Hello again." He had to say that, well technically not, but I'm still pointing it out. I told him, "The vegetarian...I guess" without realising it, and he said, "I guess?" And then I said, "And chips...and a lot of them in case" and he knew exactly what I meant. "In case you don't like whatever this is?" And that's when he finally smiled.