Wednesday 1 August 2007

Entry EIGHT


    AUGUST
  • of or befitting a lord; "heir to a lordly fortune"; "of august lineage"
  • the month following July and preceding September
  • profoundly honored; "revered holy men"


BEST FRIEND
Something got me out of bed, even though I wasn't reseted enough, and I went through my usual ritual. Force myself out of bed, try to detach my contacts by blinking, and then check email as my eyes start to focus and uncloud. There were four emails, but none from Gaz. Just as I went to close my browser, his name popped up and I promptly went to read it. Although it wasn't very loving, as if he was in a bad mood, I was still satisfied nonetheless. Hearing from him makes me happy, reminds me I have a friend somewhere, someone to listen to me.

GROWN UP Thankfully I like to be over-prepared and planned on the fact I may need dressier clothes as a business major. And so today I felt like a grown up, breaking out my black dress pants, and wearing clanky heels. They went clank-clank-clank or thud-thud-thud depending on what surface I was walking on. I went faster to make myself feel and sound more important as I clanked and thudded past strangers. How is it that dressing more important makes you feel more important? I felt so fake, stumbling at first in my heels, but eventually I came to love the change out of my usual jeans.

My student ID was still not working, so feeling like a grown up made me walk over to admin to explain that I couldn't put printing credit on it and that I needed a new one. She thought I was a study abroad student, kind of insulted me, but I guess that's normal in an international based uni. Speaking of, I got a credit for accounting!

UNI RESIDENTS "Mornin'" a shirtless guy in bungalow two said to me. It's not normal for them to speak to me, those party boys, but then again I never give them a reason. I always feel insecure, unwanted, and abnormal amongst them.

More clanking of me heels to lunch and passed Joey without even realizing until I heard a, "Hello, Jen!" Turned to see Joey waving at me with this huge smile on his face. We got to chit-chatting as to why I was dressed up and he wished me luck as we parted. He's my cute personality-wise Chinese friend. My first Chinese friend as well.

"Thanks, doll" said the tomboy Lakeside Grille girl. I love the pet names girls say here to each other. I just LOVE it. It makes you feel special, apart of some group, and loved.

Had this energy because of my pending presentation and the fact I felt important in my heels, as well as many run ins. After Joey came that girl from economics that thought I was Australian, who made a point of turning around and saying hello. Then came the Norwegian when we said hello loudly to each other at the same time as I passed her bungalow.

Two-thirty exactly I arrived at the library for our last meeting. Stephen ran though it quickly and then left us to work while he went to talk someone to death. Chris and I were working alone in the group meeting room when the South African, James/Mike (he goes by either), found us to say hello. "Where's the other American?" he asked about Arthur. "Who?" asked Chris. "He's probably off looking for oil," James joked while I smiled. Those two got to talking about going out that night for postgrad drinks which lead to them asking if I was going. They invited me, but I was scared, so I said yes but kind of blew it off. This time in Australia I'm not so brave for some reason. Maybe because I'm not ignorant or I don't NEED to latch on or go crazy. I'm not sure what it is. I wanted to go with them, but I was afraid they were just making small talk.

Chris chatted me up while we went downstairs about where I got my undergrad and my accent, as if to flirt, but I don't know anymore. I just shrug it off anymore.

UNI CLASSWORK Went to class to find Stephen pissing off Ashnita by badmouthing Fijians while she tried her best to defend her people- so it's not just Americans he pisses off. "You just had to ask," James smiled as he moved his backpack so I could sit down next to him and Ashnita, accross from Stephen.

James and Ashnita helped me to say "Foster's" correctly and James confessed that it's not just my accent that gets mocked, that his is every day. Although we're not close, we do talk and we do say hi to each other, and I enjoy when he helps me out. One little line can help. He has a way with words. He's a charmer, that boy.

"Remember 'Foster's,'" Ashnita whispered after Stephen pushed his way up from to let us go first after many protested and lost. I ended up choking, but it wasn't too bad, and no one mentioned it, so I felt better after it was over. In all, I learned to have confidence. To practice again, like I used to before I came here. I can do it. Just speak and don't make direct eye contact. I can do it next time and now this is over! If I want to do a masters, I will have many presentations to go and I know I can do it.

During the break I came to the stairway to walk back up with the Canadian, Gillian, behind me from bellow. She talked first, as usual. We were talking about heels and how fake we felt, like we were in our mom's clothes. I love talking to her, she's always so happy and nice, and her accent is, well, like mine! "Doesn't it feel good to be over?" she asked. She always knows what to say and we continued our talk outside the classroom. She was telling me how she's bad at presentations and how she left the room during one once, while I reassured her she was a professional and did so well.

For the first time I heard the famous Canadian "about"! Abooot. It stuck out so well and made me smile.

The second to last class for Global Business and we were all in high spirits, talking to anyone, and smiling, having fun. I clanked on my way home, so glad my week of classes was over, with only revision left.