Thursday 8 November 2007

Entry EIGHTY-EIGHTY

I tried so hard to get to the congee this morning, but it only reminded me how much I need to get around once in a while. After I got ready and rushed to the Lakeside Grille, I saw it was empty in hopes I could take a picture of the congee, but instead I found that it was deserted because they've stopped offering breakfast this semester. No wonder the Brasserie offers breakfast so much- why couldn't I see that? Of course, it makes sense. And so that's why I should get out more and see what's been changed and updated sometimes. Why is it so difficult to get to now that I actually want to try it? I even tried the Brasserie and found that they were only offering porridge, baked beans, and spaghetti. Gaz believes me I know, but it's got to be funny how I can't get ahold of the stuff. This is my second time trying and I will try again tomorrow (friday) and, if not, Saturday or Sunday. I need that photo to prove I'm good to my word.

No German in marketing made me feel free as I smiled and felt no pressure to look as if I were keeping busy, as immature as that may sound, but that's always my reaction around someone I'm blatantly not talking to. Even though I did no wrong. Elaine surprised me with how talkative she was with me for once, but maybe because she was a bit more earlier than usual. Either way, she gets on my nerves, never asking about myself.

Joey and Dino (two Chinese) sat in the back as usual and I asked Joey to see their draft (which we already did ours weeks ago) and Dino was obviously talking about me and pointing in my direction. Joey smiled and when I handed back the paper I gave a "meh" and "rude" smirking look and didn't say anything. Joey must've realized and wanted to talk while they both smiled at me.

"So there's this other German guy (a forth of the class is German, after all) and he sits at the table next to mine, always bothering me with seemingly pointless questions. Anyway, today he asked me what I thought of the midterm, so I told him the truth (that I didn't like it, even though I prepared two weeks in advance). I don't know if this is a personal thing, or a German thing (because I found this with Franzi), but he told me I didn't like it because I didn't prepare. He told me I didn't study right and I didn't study the right stuff. I just kind of looked at him and went "uh-huh" and went back to working on my laptop. Cultural things, it's the little cultural idiosyncrasies that are just as annoying. He doesn't know me and yet he "knows" I studied wrong and that he's automatically smarter than me. Hmm."

Elaine must have been tired of eating alone because she asked me to lunch. I knew she wanted Lakeside so I obliged while she went around the fact with, "What do you want?" The place was busy, the salad made me bloated, and it was disgusting as usual. She knows I hate it, but I'm always the one giving in. No more. What made the situation even more unpleasant is that we were conversing fine, but as usual she didn't care about my life. Only hers. She wanted to talk about her boyfriend, but was emotionalless when I told her I was staying here with Gaz.

"And once again the academic highlight of my week was my favorite subject, regional studies. I felt good for once in that class because we were talking about Australian history, and guess who was the only one who knew her questions? Me for once, go figure (take that Europeans who think they know everything!)...I think hell just froze over and pigs are flying. Anyway, it's thanks to you teaching me so much over the years. I even giggled when she brought up Holt, because I instantly remembered you telling me that. Let's see, and strangely enough, I was the only one in the class to have gone to Melbourne and to The Rocks and know about Ned Kelly..."

Jillian kept looking back and me and commenting, as Americans and Canadians know each other, and it made me feel good to talk to her. I want to be her friend but she's sometimes hard to get to. She's cool and has her friends already.

On the way back from class I ran into that random cute, blond guy again who said around week two, "Hey, how ya goin'?" which I love. Then Matt saw me and was especially happy like old times, running the conversation in his fast talk and smile.







I started mom's beanie/hat yesterday and so far I've been working four hours on it (what is above). I love the pattern of it, the little bumps. That's why it's taking longer than Gaz's did, but it's going to be so pretty when it's finished. A little hiccup occurred when I didn't realize the pattern was big enough for doing it in the round, hence the double "ribbing", but I like the look actually.