Friday 9 November 2007

Entry EIGHTY-NINE

NEW/CULTURE "Surfers/the beach will have to wait until Sunday or Monday, as it started to rain here even though it was supposed to be only sun today (although, it *has* been raining all week, so makes sense). Ah, but wonderful news! Elaine and I were supposed to be meet for brekky at 8:30, and I got an angry (meh) call at 9:00am waking me up, and asking if I'm still coming. Gotta love Chinese culture in general, but dealing with it everyday is a bit different (I kept apologizing, and to "save face", she didn't say anything but I knew from my experience and textbook studies she was pissed-- even though I've *never* been late before).

So I went to breakfast by myself at 9:30am and got in line because they had congee. I gave her my white ticket (meaning, it's the main meal) and she gave me a sympathetic look when I asked for it (must've been wondering why I was requesting it). I told her that I promised you I'd try it, so she said to give her the yellow ticket (the dessert ticket) and gave me a bowl saying, "Well, it is popular". Why was she surprised? Anyway, I added some salt and pepper (eh, why not?) and it was better than I was expecting. Although, it was a bit too lumpy for me and I would've liked it to be thicker, but the actual taste wasn't bad. I tried it, but I don't know if I'll be going back for more, but it was good nonetheless. I ended up going back with the white ticket to get pancakes (drenched in syrup) and two sausages. They were busy dancing behind the counter to be too busy to serve me. Two guys were served before me because the girls knew and liked them, even though I was first, but I was too tired to be bothered."



He emailed me again today, something I wasn't suspecting.
That's my bear.


UNI RESIDENTS today I ran into all three dormies, two of them at once, and it finally felt like we're comfortable. We say hi and smile as if we all belong. As if we don't have to try too hard.