Friday 2 November 2007

Entry EIGHTY-TWO

UNI RESIDENTS Elaine called an hour before we were meet. "Can you send me that email? They didn't send it to me and I need to talk to them." Hmm, blame it on them? I told her repeatedly that there was a deadline and that she should talk to them, but she didn't listen to me. I realize she might not have understood, but how can accommodation "forget" to send her the email...when they sent me four? And so I wonder what will happen. They can't do anything now for her. And she is the one who was so highstrung about moving off campus.

What perplexes me is how un-Chinese-like this is. Chinese aren't supposed to pick fights like that, be so forward.

Regardless, the lunch was much better than I thought and it was followed by an enjoyable walk with Elaine. But first, the actual dinner was very nice and fun towards the end as the Canadian knew exactly what I was feeling and it's so nice to talk to an Westerner for once.

He:
  • Agreed with me on the "poppy syndrome"
  • Told Elaine that, yes, I am right and that Aussies hate Americans on this campus
  • Told me I should pretend I'm Canadian because of the above (cute!)
  • Knew exactly what I meant by "I don't hang out with the other Americans" without me spelling it out
  • Caught my "pop" and told Elaine about my Os sounding like As
  • Told me he could tell I'm from Ohio by my accent
  • He thought Iwas friendly, not as he expected from other Americans (aw!)
Elaine told me the last point while she called me in my room and asked for me to go on a walk with her. She stood there and told me to give her a hug (our first) and then she called me her best friend here. Yep, like Liz in a way. It's nice. But no Liz. Liz was fun and didn't have that cultural barrier. Elaine holds back too much.


Email; Gaz emailed me to my surprise. I thought for sure he wouldn't after I told him bluntly about how he seems to not care about me and how he has to try harder with others. So it made my morning to wake up and find his name in my inbox. It me even happier to see what he wrote at the end.

[Snippets] I kind of do feel a bit better, although it does feel like I'm admitting defeat a little bit, giving up [...].

Whole entire huh...wow that's even better than just the whole house [...].

Coincidence, meteorology was an idea I had floating through my head once upon a time.

Okay, so that's brief but they've only given me 1/4hr on the computer, everything else is booked out, so I should get around to finishing the rest of the email really soon.

Bye bye, be well.

I'll be back soon.