Friday 6 June 2008

Entry ?

TRAVEL & YING  It was a bit awkward being in the car with Nash and his wife while trying to make conversation, but Ying did a fair bit and Nash was so good himself.  All questions about the pending trip, the events back home, what our parents do, and about their business.  I wish I knew how to make small talk and what to ask without sounding stupid.  I need to learn by listening to others though.  And luckily I had Ying who loves talking to older men there with me (Nash is in his 40s).

Luckily the three hour drive was almost non-stop conversation and soon we were in Noosa on Hastings street.  Something inside of me just knew where to go because Nash pointed the direction, but Ying didn't trust me and had to ask a bunch of strangers.  So when I found out I was right, of course I was personally elated.  And at the same time I knew I wouldn't get along with traveling with her.  Gaz and I know our way well enough- we don't have to stick out as tourists by asking people directions.  It just bothered me.

Noosa was gorgeous and full of rich, old folks.  It's called Heaven's Waiting Room and the name is quite correct.  Although it reminds me so much of Naples, which makes me not only dislike it but also like it.  Yes, it's full of rich shops and rich old people, but the sun is bright and the sand is white and there's brightly colored modern houses.  You know, bright burnt orange and yellows and blues.  I love tropical housing colors.  

(CULTURE)  The Chinese are impatient.  They call out and ask questions when the person is attending to another because they must have to fight for attention amongst the billions of them.  So I finally had to ell her, "This is Australia.  They take their time" even though I wanted to say, "Slow the fuck down.  She'll get to you. Yes, they're a little bit easy going, but not that easy going."  

We sat on the beach...studying...for a bit.  We go all this way and she just wants to sit?  I didn't complain since I just meditated as I stared off in the distance.  With Gaz I get to do things at least.  We move and see places.  With her, it was sitting.

I was proud that I wasn't a pain in the ass and was pretty easy going trying to please her, like Gaz would do for me. 

Once I got to the hostel I instantly missed traveling with Gaz.  It does make a difference when you're traveling with someone you truly care about and want to be with.  With Ying, the hostel felt threatening in a way.  I felt like I was sitting there with a bunch of strangers and with no one to cling onto.

And so she dragged me to get some wine and we sat in the almost empty living room to drink it (this is the first time I've successfully drank a glass since my 21st birthday when I threw it all up!).  Yes, I couldn't back her up in trying to get some because I was scared.  And also I felt inferior with people socializing with others and not feeling shy.  Why can I never do that?  Why could I partially do that in Hargraves, but not any time thereafter?  

That night, we had an adventure because she lacks so much commonsense.  We went to the National Park and I told her we couldn't be there in the dark.  Yet, she ignored it thinking I was just being my anal self.  It was fun enough going through the first time until it started getting dark and she insisted on going to the beach route (seeing as there were several trails).  Once we got there it was deserted and I read the map to see how we could get home.  "We'll just follow the beach" she tells me even though I pointed out that the beach was different from the main one we were on earlier.  She couldn't grasp that concept.  

And so once again I was right and for once she actually apologized to me.  We had to run with our two mobiles lighting the way.  "I thought the moon would come through!"  Really?  The moon will shine through the dense leaves?  Have you ever been in the woods before?  Ugh!  

Although it was so much fun running through the woods in the dark thinking I would die.  No really, I knew it would be okay and for once I wasn't stressing out at all.  I could've fallen down the hills or down the side of the small bridges.  It was such an adventure and I'm glad it did happen though, because when I think of Noosa, I will think of that.

After those shenanigans we sat down and ate a donut for dinner while watching people walk by in clubbing dress, ready to pick up.  She wanted me to go out with her but I told her no.  Basically I'm not her puppet for fun.  Find someone else to do those things with you, because that's not me.  Really though, it would be fine if I wanted to do those things and it was because I was using her.  Is that how Gaz felt?  As if I was using him to go out for fun when I thought he was then like that?

I was dead sick that night and mom called to see if I was okay.  Instantly I felt loved and okay in that big scary YHA with strangers who made me feel inferior.