Friday 15 February 2008

Entry HUNDRED-EIGHTY-SEVEN

"Are you laughing, Jen?" The blond who barely sees me knows my name? What?! So that made my day in the brasserie.

EMAIL I almost forgot that he finally emailed me after five days. I woke up at 10am, checked the email, saw none, went to the bathroom, and returned to find it. I checked out of sadness, then saw it, not believing it to be him, and it was. I had no feeling. In fact, I was angry at first. No valentine's day? Nothing about my email? But it was long. And he said this, "Hope uni life isn't to stressful just right now (and all the rest of the time too). Gave [sic] a root beer and apple turn over for me. I'll have a hot chocolate (tea?)." Hmm? "Gave a root beer and apple turn over for me" means that I should "have" a root beer and apple turn over for myself for him? As in he knows me and what will make me feel better? Not sure, but seems likely since he added, "I'll have" at the end. Regardless he finally spoke of me and how I'm doing here at least.

DISCOVERED I picked up my award this morning, thinking that this must be what it's like walking into an unknown building and then trying to find the office for an interview. Because I was only semi-familiar with the building and unlike yesterday when I tried frantically to search for it, I walked through knowing I was allowed in there. So I searched around and finally found her office, she was nice enough, too. I always do this thing when I get nervous where I starting babbling and laughing and not giving eye contact. I must stop that.

YING May's right, Ying is pushing us away and then getting angry when we react. She wanted to meet for sushi, and there I was being yelled at and controlled by the Koreans. No, I don't like to be pushed to decide NOW and no, I don't like to be controlled. No wonder Ying goes up to westerner counters and demands service. Anyway, when we sat down I knew this would be difficult. She started talking about Helen, easy enough. But she was being cold and staring at my lips, which I covered up in an obvious way. She really has to non-stop stare? Maybe that's what pushed her over the edge? Then I smiled and looked down bashfully and told her that I won the top class award like Arthur, and only found out yesterday, so I didn't get to go to the ceremony. She didn't say anything but stare and say, "uh-huh." Cultural thing? Not like boasting? Tough shit, you do your cultural thing to me all the time. But she seems hurt by valentine's day, maybe because I didn't wish her one, even though she barely knew what was going on (only because her boyfriend told her that in the U.S. we do it even for friends).

I ended up saying, "Well, I have to go call my mom about my award since no one is congratulating me and I feel like crap" and walked away. Do I care? Honestly, no.

Dinner came and I didn't tell the redhead that I wanted take-away considering everyone else remembers, but she didn't. Meh, doesn't mean anything other than that's why I used to say it all the time. On the way back I ran into the bungie 2 guy again, the one I see at least one a week, and he literally waved again. Maybe, you know?

Later Arthur came to visit again to talk. I love when he does!

.