Tuesday 18 September 2007

Entry FORTY








IM/Text/Email/Post Finally I did it, I joined postcrossing and I've already sent out my first postcard. And so now I will hopefully have a lot of pretty postcards to hang around, from all over the world, although the downside is the fact that it's nothing really personal.



I'm tan without even trying. Taking a shower the other day I realized looking tan how different my breasts were compared to my arms. The paleness to such a golden brown, that looks so natural that I didn't even notice. But when did this happen?

UNI RESIDENTS Ran into Jillian this morning on the porch and she said first thing, "I'm freezing!" She's nice, I know it, but it's taking us a while. And I think she's finally warming up to me trying to be really friendly to her. I explained to her how to turn on the heat in her room and she was still smiling, so that felt great to be able to help and the fact she initiated it.

UNI CLASSWORK So proud of how I wasn't nervous until I stood up there alone. And even then my voice nor my hands shook. I just had the nervous feeling, but I don't think I showed it and so I was confident to do so well! Many factors played in: I set up before they arrived, the lights were dimmed, there were only eight people, and there was no lecturer.

Thankfully the Floridian girl helped me without realizing it by walking with me, acting as a leader of the herd and responding to my initial question. Together we walked and talked and it made me feel so good to have someone on my side, so that it didn't look like I was alone or felt it as well.

In we came and like I've mentioned, there wasn't much fear. In fact, I think I was excited. Melissa helped a lot, more than I thought, and she was level headed and knew what to do. Need to learn to think clearly at all times. And it went well and I didn't get nervous when I noticed the two Aussies at the end looking kind of in either disgust or in confusion. It pushed me to ask if everyone understood and it made me stronger instead of hindering me like it's always done in the past. After they started they were all nice to me, so it had to be confusion, which was understandable.

Now I know how a teacher must feel. Thank you to the South Carolina girl for volunteering to be an observer. No one else raised their hand.

It went so smoothly and I was able to explain every question, which made me feel even more empowered and confident. Although I have to learn how to explain more clearly, I was still able. We were all laughing while they played and overall they treated me very well. Talking to me, which means this gave me a chance to make some "temporary friends". It was unbelievable how over an hour passed and it seemed like only ten minutes. My mouth ache from laughing and smiling the whole time in pleasure.

Even though a few of the Aussies stopped listening after a while, they weren't rude- I think I mumble and carry on too long.

Back in the classroom they lead the discussion and I held back, because I was thrown back into a bigger audience. I was glad one of the Aussies was able to explain how our Beta language worked because my mind was too mumbled to reorganize the information in my head. We all laughed and we all acted like a family, like when people do that on the last day of school because they figure that it may be the last time they see everyone. So everyone talks and the happiness just flows.

On way out, the chubby aussie said "see ya", so that made me feel so good. She could've ignored me like most Aussies do, but no, she looked at me and said it. I was so startled that my reply was a little delayed.

I was adrenaline happy. The presentation was so smooth, Gaz had wished me luck beforehand unlike my own mom, people were kind and talking to me, and so I couldn't stop smiling and talking to people. If no one was around, I would've probably skipped to the brasserie. I took up a conversation with the dark lipstick girl who was kind to me as usual.

UNI RESIDENTS Don't know how to take Elaine. I'm worried because I was a little off by trying to explain to her that I don't like crowded Brasseries and then kind of did the, "okay, let's go" thing. Not mean, but I wonder how she took it? But from what she explained, she doesn't analyse things, so I believe we're fine.

I was walking fast, not in anger but out of habit, and she asked me to slow down. We were walking like sloths, barely taking steps, but it really didn't annoy me much. It's just that's not exercise. But I complied and we talked with no problem for an hour. It was pleasant and I was even able to help her with boy trouble, like a real girlfriend. She's no Liz or Franzi, but she's entertaining. There's a language barrier at times and she's not very westernized, but she's loving and caring and fun.

IM/Text/Email/Post Nah, we're fine. She called and asked how to fix her internet. So in other words, I'm the closest person she has here. Aw.

LITTLE PLEASURES taking walks and having deep talks with someone you're trying to get closer to.

UNI RESIDENTS After dinner on the way out the Muslim girl opened the door for me and asked if I lived in the South Tower, and we had our first conversation. She's so nice and I happen upon her all the time, although she's easy to spot. All because she happened to ask me where two buildings were on separate occasions, the second time recognizing me. So each time I see her, I say hello.