Sunday 16 September 2007

It's difficult to record my past memories when my most recent ones are fading from me. How much I loved New Year's Eve at Grandma's, drinking fake champagne, and feeling cool because I could stay up so long. Then New Year's Eve last year when Gaz made me cry. Or the year before when my high school friends were partying and I stayed home, friendless.

Shopping with my mom every week.

Lisa pounding on the tub singing "tub thumping" as Aunt Mickey screamed at her. Lisa pretending we were going to the library and me being so naive I didn't get she was kissing a boy in his house while I waited outside. Playing on the playground with Albert. His name was so old fashioned that I remember. Or when we were in Pymatuning and she announced she had a boyfriend, named Albert, only for years later to be married a second time at twenty-one. How our lives change!

Lisa and I always wanted to write a book on our family, maybe we should.

The first time we talked about it was in high school. It was a drawing class that I took as an elective and in some sort of coincidence, she had signed up for as well. We were laughing in the back row of desks and talking about how we thought our family was crazy. "We will have to write a book about this one day," I laughed. She agreed, however, I was serious.