Friday 26 October 2007

Entry SEVENTY-FIVE

My body woke me up at 8am even though I set two alarms for 6am, to which I gathered my laundry and set out to the library to print Bear's email. On the way back I heard, "Jennifer!" which did scare me and I reacted, and there I was following and unsure if I should. Her smile left, but I don't understand why. I automatically sat with her and she offered me toast. I don't like how sharing easterners are. I just don't like it. I'm not used to it. It's bad enough eating in front of her, because I only like to eat in front of those I'm comfortable with.

DISCOVERED The conversation was easy enough, but I noticed I'm not as happy when I first see someone, even if I am and they must take me to be moody. I must change that initial uncomfortable feeling I probably give out. CULTURE I even turned down the muffin. In eastern culture "no" must mean yes, because she won't take no for an answer...until this time.

I started to say, "I have to..." and paused, which she took as me saying I had to go. After convinving her it wasn't true, she shared her orange juice with me (for liquid- I find that girls who share saliva for the first time overcome a milestone). It's sort of like saying, I'm good enough friends with you to share a part of me and know you won't mind either.

I tried napping only to stay awake dreaming of the day Gaz will come to America and I will be picking him up from the airport, driving him home. Tiger wasn't in it though. I love my baby to death, but I also realize that she's already so old. In this daydream of sorts I had an orange cat named Weasley.

Instead I went outside to study in the sun, with the large, brown table hidden on the second floor of the uni centre, overlooking the lake. The medicine faculty was outside blasting music to attract attention to the fact they were selling tickets, so it was great to listen to some good dance music. Moved my foot back and forth, smiled in the bright blue sky.

UNI CLASSWORK Elaine texted me per my offer to study marketing together, so we met at 3pm. She was on the phone and made no indication of getting off, so I mouthed I would be back and went upstairs to read Gaz. Eventually we made it to the study room where she chose to study alone, another characteristic that makes me wonder how the Easterners work. Why do a group study and yet work alone? She then questioned my view of Multiple Choice saying it was different because in China they choose two answers. Don't they get that their culture doesn't automatically work that way in another country? She finally believed me.

It poured and I had my camera, so we were taking photos while giggling and people smiled and watched. Did I mind? Nah. They don't know me and I was having fun. I've learned to let go of that fear. We laughed, talked, and she invited me to tea next week.

IM/Text/Email/Post/Call Got back to my room and received a second email for the day to which I literally went "err!" to because I just got back from printing the first. But this was different, as he was calling out for help to me.

Damn...I'm a whisker away from admitting defeat and heading back to Newcastle...till the end of the year anyway...this is shit...maybe it's not so bad up there.


My nerves got to me for some reason as I clicked his name and he must've been surprised to see me calling, and he gave me a cheery, "Hiya!". "So, what's up?" And he knew I was talking about the email. I asked him questions, I was interested in helping, and I wanted to make him feel good. 40 minutes. He kept it going by asking how my weekend will go (aw). He asked if I'm alright myself (aw!). And then when I asked him when he thinks he'll leave if he does, "Did you send the package yet?" "The beanie?" "Yeah" "No because I wasn't sure if you wanted it now and which address." He wants it now! He does like it. He does like gifts.

Now I worry. Did he appreciate it? Did he sound sad? But why worry any more, because I was calling for him, doing him a favor, and he knows it. He even tried continuing it on. And after I reply tonight, he will reply happily. He won't ignore me.