Friday 19 October 2007

Entry SIXTY-EIGHT

UNI CLASSWORK Woke up at 3am because I went to bed early enough for it. Finished my communication paper and it felt great to just walk over to the humanities building and turn it in. On the lift up my heart was beating so fast because it was my first time, but then I felt better once I walked down the hall and spotted the cover sheet pile. I made one up and the woman at the desk was pretty nice. They're so professional here: giving me a receipt!

I don't have time, as as written to Gaz:
"So while most were out getting drunk and dancing, I fell asleep around 9pm after successfully not taking a nap that day (for the first time in weeks). I woke up around 3am and couldn't go back to sleep since I went to bed so early, and I ended up eating my chocolate cake and watching more documentaries on google video (on American prisons and the history of hacking). After four hours of successfully procrastinating, I ate a massive bowl of cereal, completed my last minute revisions for my communication paper on China, and then turned it in to turnitin.com. Then walked down to the humanities building for the first time and got scared at first. Why do big universities get so impersonal? The whole making a coversheet, turning your paper into reception, and then having her give you a receipt. I'm used to Lake Erie, which is the same size as Bond, just having us turn our papers into the professor the day of class (and him/her knowing each of our names).

Saturday made me so sick that I was throwing up. The night before the Thomas ("not Tom," he lectured me!), and Elaine were going at each other and fighting over the stupidest things about our presentation. Elaine wanted one powerpoint design, but Thomas wanted another, and then they were threatening each other...I've never seen anything quite like it. After I tried my best to settle that, then Elaine turned to me and was lecturing me on the size of my font of my powerpoint...she was nitpicking everything and she's never done a presentation in her life. Again, I tried my best not to get mean in anyway, but it was so hard and I ended up just not talking at all and letting them go at each other.

Now I'm in charge of putting together the paper (neither of them did theirs correctly), telling Thomas that Elaine called last night to say she wants her powerpoint after all (She actually called me at 11pm and asked me to tell Thomas to change to her design, because she doesn't want to tell him!), and fixing their citations and referencing because neither know how to do it. Meanwhile, I have to worry about my speech for China on Tuesday. All this because Elaine says she's too busy to meet us Sunday...and yet she's not too busy to call me about what she wants Thomas to change and to make up new powerpoints.

Did I ever tell you that I shouldn't be in business? That I've just wasted five years of my academic life studying international business?"



At the end though, I got to flirt with James and it was so much fun. He was standing at the dessert bar bored, and I walked over as always to get my dessert right away, not really looking at him after the odd look he gave me on my birthday. But he asked me what was up, we talked about our classes, and it was fun. We've done this before, but it's been a few weeks, and so it was so nice. Elaine tried to flirt as well when she joined us, but James kept his attention on me. It felt great, I love flirting with him.