Tuesday 18 March 2008

Entry TWO-HUNDRED-EIGHTEEN

I sped-walked to international trade thinking I was late only to walk in and see half the class there and half still missing. Listening to my ipod I was sort of shut out of the world, but it brought me back to see all the faces smiling and friendly at me.

Class was awkward because the professor got in trouble with the dean, about his teaching quality, (although he's smart, he's too smart for us) and he wasn't his bubbly self. I was actually scared and guilty for him. I didn't know most of the answers, but I did know one and he smiled at me.

CULTURE Toby and I smiled when he nicely mocked the U.S. again and it's just this bonding we Americans do. And it's nice to be talked about again in economics, since the U.S. is always used and not Britain. It's nationalistic pride in a way.

I walked out with May and we talked on the way down with Toby behind us. He walked with us, disinterested, and more interested in saying hi to people as he passed. He's a user. He doesn't really care about people unless it's when e wants to.

LITTLE PLEASURES My group meeting-- again, Shivang has surprised me and it was entertaining to listen to him. In fact he said that I shouldn't be saying sorry, even though I know that, and I told him I'm getting better. But see how obvious oneself is to others, even ones that barely know them? And he listened during my presentaton the previous day since he quoted directly with numbers! It feels good to know someone listens. We joked about how fun the multi-cultured uni can be and yet how annoying it is as well.

And that's when I realized that I don't take culture seriously anymore. I'm not learning from the individuals anymore, like I used to with the Aussies. I hear them and see them, but take it for granted because I'm surrounded by every culture under the sun.

GESTURES Now I know why people help. I'm much more patient and helpful with Arthur and it makes me feel so good.