Wednesday 26 March 2008

Entry TWO-HUNDRED-TWENTY-SIX

LIFE HERE Life in Queensland is cooler than NSW at times. Instead of kangaroos, we have blue-tongued lizards on campus.

UNI RESIDENTS It started off well and ended great. I went to the business building to re-fill my waterbottle only to turn around and see Ash and Arthur walking towards me. So we walked around chatting when we met up with Stephen, and then met up with an Aussie girl I only know by site while I held the lift for it. It was socially beautiful.

But then I was waiting for Arthur in the loo (ha, nice word, Jen) and I heard, "Hellooooo!" with that Chinese accent. It was Ying, just when I thought I had come late enough to avoid her. But no, there she was annoying me. Instead of asking for Fish Liquor's approval, she had to be a strict pain in the ass as always. Always and forever.

After class I was waiting outside for any of my friends (Stephen, Arthur, or Ash) to come out but there was Mike. Cute Mike. The one who is hot but is famous with all the American study abroad students, and so I don't like to get too attached to him. He may think he can use me and then I'll let him.

So I was standing there and he asked what I was looking at and started walking as he was talking...so I walked with him. We talked about our classes. About how I should break into the social world. And about staying to live here. It was easy for us, surprisingly. And this was the longest conversation we've had since he cornered me in the brasserie about the stats exam, so it was thrilling. And this was the first conversation, long one, we've had outside the brasserie.

He gave me that flirt of a smile as we parted at the Brasserie steps.

At the brasserie Toby made me smile by sneaking up and teasing me, so I nudged him back. And the cute blond Aussie worker? He was nice again today, giving me the largest chocolate cake and smiling.